- 1 Where should I stay when hiking Old Rag?
- 2 How many miles is the Old Rag hike?
- 3 Can I hike Old Rag alone?
- 4 Has anyone died old rag?
- 5 Can you camp on old rag?
- 6 Can dogs hike Old Rag?
- 7 Can you hike Old Rag at night?
- 8 Is hiking Old Rag dangerous?
- 9 Why is it called old rag?
- 10 What is a rock scramble?
- 11 Can you carry a gun in Shenandoah National Park?
Where should I stay when hiking Old Rag?
- Rose River Farm. 3099 Old Blue Ridge Turnpike. Syria, VA 22743.
- Graves’ Mountain Lodge. 205 Graves Mountain Lane. Syria, VA 22743.
- Graves’ Mountain Lodge Restaurant. 205 Graves Mountain Lane. Syria, VA 22743.
- Circle B Stable. 80 Apple Tree Lane. Syria, VA 22743.
- Old Rag Mountain Cabin. 201 Lisa Lane. Syria, VA 22743.
How many miles is the Old Rag hike?
Old Rag Mountain Loop is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Etlan, Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.
Can I hike Old Rag alone?
You can hike Old Rag as a circuit (9.1 miles) or an out and back (8.2 miles). Dogs are not allowed on Old Rag. Take water and snacks with you.
Has anyone died old rag?
A man died over the weekend while hiking Old Rag. According to Shenandoah National Park Management Specialist Sally Hurlbert, a 42-year- old man collapsed Saturday afternoon while hiking with friends on Old Rag Mountain.
Can you camp on old rag?
Legal overnight camping sites are very limited in the Old Rag area as camping is prohibited above 2,800′, so be sure to properly plan your backcountry trip.
Can dogs hike Old Rag?
Dogs must be on a leash no longer than six feet at all times, especially on the trails. Be sure to check the list of dog -friendly trails ahead of time, though, because several trails in the park— Old Rag Ridge, Ragged Run, Frazier Discovery, to name a few— do not allow dogs.
Can you hike Old Rag at night?
Due to the popularity of this hike you are rarely alone on this rugged trail, even at night. Some people hike up in the early morning hours to watch the sunrise, and some people, like the Boots ‘n Beer club, like to hike Old Rag in moonlight. For six years Boots ‘n Beer has been hiking Old Rag in moonlight.
Is hiking Old Rag dangerous?
The Old Rag hike is the most popular trail in Shenandoah National Park, but it is also the most dangerous. Every year, hikers become injured, exhausted, or dehydrated on the trail and must be rescued. Due to the length of the trail and the difficulty of the terrain, a rescue often takes hours.
Why is it called old rag?
Old Rag Mountain is underlain by Old Rag Granite, named for its ubiquitous exposure on the mountain, formed during the Grenville Orogeny about a billion years ago.
What is a rock scramble?
Rock scrambling is a method of climbing up boulders and rocks using both your hands and your feet. It’s not exactly hiking (although you might rock scramble on a hiking trail), because hiking generally involves walking upright.
Can you carry a gun in Shenandoah National Park?
As of February 22, 2010, federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings.