- 1 What is the best way to make mountain pies?
- 2 What is a mountain pie?
- 3 Can you cook a hamburger in a mountain pie maker?
- 4 How do you keep mountain pies from sticking?
- 5 What are good campfire foods?
- 6 What is another name for mountain pies?
- 7 Do you need to season a mountain pie maker?
- 8 What is the best pie iron?
- 9 Can you cook a hamburger in a pie iron?
- 10 How do you clean a mountain pie maker?
- 11 How do you iron a pie?
- 12 How do you clean a rusty hobo pie maker?
- 13 How do you season a cast iron Jaffle maker?
What is the best way to make mountain pies?
- Spread butter over bread slices. Place one slice in a sandwich iron, buttered side down. Spread with pizza sauce; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese, pepperoni and, if desired, green pepper.
- Cook over a hot campfire until golden brown and cheese is melted, 3-6 minutes, turning occasionally.
What is a mountain pie?
Mountain pies, also known as hobo pies, camper pies and campfire pies, are made by placing a favorite filling between two slices of bread that have been buttered, greased or oil on the outside and placed in a long-handled, metal tool that is held over a campfire until the ingredients are heated and the bread is fused
Can you cook a hamburger in a mountain pie maker?
A great way to cook burgers chops & chicken over a campfire without the complications and hassles of using large grill grates. All you do is fill the cast iron cavity with meat, close the lid, lock the hinge & hold over a roaring fire.
How do you keep mountain pies from sticking?
butter – You can use butter, margarine as pictured above, cooking spray, or oil. I prefer butter for its flavor, but the others will toast the mountain pie perfectly and keep it from sticking.
What are good campfire foods?
- Campfire Scrambled Eggs. Eggs.
- Campfire Toasted Cinnamon Rolls. Everything is better over a campfire and cinnamon rolls are no different.
- Granola Over a Camp Fire. 6 Cups Rolled Oats.
- Bacon and Cheese Pull-Aparts – A Deliciously Easy Camping Meal. Buttery, warm, and gooey!
- Potato and Egg Scramble.
- Camping Farmers’ Breakfast.
What is another name for mountain pies?
Everyone has a different name for them: hobo pies, pie irons, mountain pies, or pudgy pies, but we can all agree they are delicious!
Do you need to season a mountain pie maker?
Basically it’s applying an oily coating to the cast iron so that food doesn’t stick. As cast iron is used it will become seasoned by the oil from the food cooked in it, but it’s very important to season it properly before first use as well.
What is the best pie iron?
The 5 Best Pie Irons
|Rank||Pie Irons||Best Feature|
|1.||Rome’s Pie Iron||Double iron to maximize cooking space|
|2.||Coghlan’s Pie Iron||Long handle|
|3.||Toas-Tite Pie Iron||Lightweight and versatility of cooking options|
|4.||Camp Chef Pie Iron||Dedicated camp cooking brand|
Can you cook a hamburger in a pie iron?
First, we put a nice layer of chopped onions on the bottom of a pie iron. Then, we placed a thawed hamburger patty on top. Our quarter pound patties fit nicely inside the closed pie iron. Like other pie iron recipes and campfire cooking, cooking time for the hamburger patties depends on the heat of the fire.
How do you clean a mountain pie maker?
Steps for Spring Cleaning the Pie Irons
- Soak pie irons in bucket of hot, soapy water for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrub the inside and the outside of the pie irons, using a scrub brush or even steel wool when necessary to remove any rust.
- Rinse with hot water.
- Dry thoroughly over coals or a fire.
How do you iron a pie?
The best meal procedure for the pie iron goes like this: grease the pans a little; add a starch, like mashed potatoes, dough, or bread; add fillings; then cover with the same starch. Clasp the irons shut, then lay flat over a bed of hot embers or coals to cook evenly.
How do you clean a rusty hobo pie maker?
First, wash the iron with hot water and steel wool–use no soap–to remove the rust. The heat from the hot water should be enough to dry it. Next, put a light coat of Crisco all over it, inside and out.
How do you season a cast iron Jaffle maker?
Allow the cast iron to cool completely then rub on a layer of Crisco vegetable shortening (or similar non butter type). Cover the entire pie iron on both sides. Once both sides are thoroughly coated, place them back on the grill for about 15 minutes and flip them over about half way through.