- 1 What town is Bear Mountain NY?
- 2 How far is Bear Mountain from New York City?
- 3 Is Bear Mountain part of the Catskills?
- 4 How far is Bear Mountain from Brooklyn?
- 5 Are there bears in Bear Mountain New York?
- 6 Can you drive to the top of Bear Mountain?
- 7 How do you get to Bear Mountain from NYC without a car?
- 8 Can you see NYC from Bear Mountain?
- 9 Is Bear Mountain dangerous?
- 10 Where does Bear Mountain get its name?
- 11 How far is Bear Mountain to West Point?
- 12 How do you get to Bear Mountain from NYC?
What town is Bear Mountain NY?
Bear Mountain is one of the best-known peaks of New York’s Hudson Highlands. Located partially in Orange County in the town of Highlands and partially in Rockland County in the town of Stony Point, it lends its name to the nearby Bear Mountain Bridge and Bear Mountain State Park that contains it.
How far is Bear Mountain from New York City?
Highlights: Spend a beautiful day taking a self-guided tour Bear Mountain State Park, just one hour from New York City.
Is Bear Mountain part of the Catskills?
With its towering riverside mountains, lush farmland, 19th-century-style towns and large mansions, New York state’s Hudson River Valley region has been described as America’s own Rhine River Valley.
How far is Bear Mountain from Brooklyn?
The distance between Brooklyn and Bear Mountain State Park is 45 miles.
Are there bears in Bear Mountain New York?
Typically areas that are more north of the city, and therefore more rural, have more bear sightings per year. Ed McGowan, the director of Trailside Museum and Zoo at Bear Mountain State Park, said that in the 15 years he has worked at Bear Mountain, there has been a definite increase in bears roaming the area.
Can you drive to the top of Bear Mountain?
To Drive to the Top of Bear Mountain: Or, from Bear Mountain Inn, go south on Seven Lakes Drive for nearly two miles, and then take a slight right onto Perkins Memorial Drive and head uphill for two miles, to the top.
How do you get to Bear Mountain from NYC without a car?
The distance between New York and Bear Mountain State Park is 39 miles. The road distance is 48.7 miles. How do I travel from New York to Bear Mountain State Park without a car? The best way to get from New York to Bear Mountain State Park without a car is to train which takes 1h 20m and costs $45 – $75.
Can you see NYC from Bear Mountain?
From Bear Mountain, the park high point, you can see the New York skyline 35 miles to the south on a clear day. But you ‘ll be seeing plenty of those concrete canyons come Monday morning. DRIVE TIME: The park is about 35 miles (1 hour) north of New York City. The Appalachian Trail traverses the park for 20 miles.
Is Bear Mountain dangerous?
Bear Mountain is in the 99th percentile for safety, meaning 1% of cities are safer and 99% of cities are more dangerous. This analysis applies to Bear Mountain’s proper boundaries only.
Where does Bear Mountain get its name?
Its name is a reference to the Appalachian Trail that runs through the complex. The zoo began as a bear den in 1926 and is currently the home of a wide variety of local injured or rehabilitating animals, including bears, otters, deer, bald eagles, and owls.
How far is Bear Mountain to West Point?
There are 7.74 miles from West Point to Bear Mountain in southwest direction and 13 miles (20.92 kilometers) by car, following the US-9W and US-202 route. West Point and Bear Mountain are 26 minutes far apart, if you drive non-stop.
How do you get to Bear Mountain from NYC?
- Peekskill: Via Metro-North, take the Hudson Line from Grand Central Terminal to the Peekskill station. A ten-minute taxi ride up to Bear Mountain will cost your group about $25 one-way.
- Base of Bear Mountain: Via Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the bus.