How do I adjust my rear derailleur?
How to adjust a rear derailleur and index your bike’s gears
- Set the limit screws. With the gear cable disconnected, gently pedal forwards until the chain drops onto the smallest sprocket.
- Tighten the cable.
- Adjust the cable tension.
- Shift it up.
- B-tension screw.
Why does my chain slip when I pedal hard?
Most of the time, a skipping chain is caused by cable stretch. In the first half dozen rides on a new bike your shift cables stretch the most. They can also stretch over time as you ride. Hippley explains, “It takes cable tension to open a derailleur, which shifts your chain between gears.
How do I adjust my bike shifts?
Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Shift into the smallest gear. I also like to drop my cable tension as low as possible.
- Step 2: Adjust the high limit screw, usually marked with an “H”.
- Step 3: Tension the cable properly.
- Step 4: Carefully shift up into the largest gear.
- Step 5: Fine adjustments.
How do you fix a front derailleur not moving?
Pull the cable as tight as possible with your fingers and retighten the anchor bolt. Try to shift up to the larger chainring. If the chain won’t shift or feels sluggish, twist the inline barrel adjuster further up the cable (turn it anti-clockwise) to increase the tension and try again.
Why is my bike not changing gears?
Stop shifting when you find an issue, but keep your bike in that gear. Loosen your cable adjuster if the chain won’t shift down. If you need to make a large adjustment, thread the adjust into derailleur, shift into the smallest gear, loosen the pinch bolt, and pull the cable by hand.
How do you adjust gears?
Put the gear lever into top gear, turn the pedals and allow the chain to go onto the smallest cog on the cassette. If there is a cable adjuster on the gear lever body, or the derailleur body, screw it almost all the way in (clockwise).
Why is my derailleur hitting my spokes?
It is possibly bent/tweaked and the only way to know for sure is to put an adjustment/alignment tool on it and check. If it is it is generally and easy tweak to put it back in alignment, then realign/adjust your rear derailleur.