- 1 How much are apples at Carter Mountain?
- 2 Who owns Carters Mountain?
- 3 How many acres is Carter Mountain Orchard?
- 4 Where can I go apple picking in Virginia?
- 5 What month is best for apple picking?
- 6 How much does it cost to pick apples?
- 7 How high did Monticello get above the Rivanna?
- 8 Is Thomas Jefferson on the mountain?
- 9 Are there apple orchards in Virginia?
- 10 How many apple orchards are there in Virginia?
- 11 Where is a good place to pick apples?
How much are apples at Carter Mountain?
You will pre-pay for your fruit prior to going into the orchard fields. We have two container sizes: Medium Bag (19.99) and Large Box (34.99). For Pink Lady Apples, we offer a Small Bag (15.99), Medium Bag (29.99), and Large Box (44.99).
Who owns Carters Mountain?
This land is owned by Monticello and is adjacent to Carter Mountain Orchard. The land on which our orchard sits changed hands several times in the past 200 years. In the early 1970’s the Chiles family of Crown Orchard began operating Carter Mountain Orchard, and purchased the land in 1985.
How many acres is Carter Mountain Orchard?
Located next to Michie Tavern near historic Monticello, Carter Mountain Orchard has drawn people seeking the fruits – and vegetables – of its 200 acres since it opened to the public in 1974.
Where can I go apple picking in Virginia?
Where to Go Apple Picking in Northern Virginia
- Crooked Run Orchard, Purcelville VA.
- Great Country Farms, Bluemont VA.
- Hartland Orchard, Markham VA.
- Hollin Farms, Delaplane VA.
- Macintosh Fruit Farm, Berryville VA.
- Marker-Miller Orchard, Winchester VA.
- Rinker Orchards, Stephens City VA.
- Stribling Orchard, Markham VA.
What month is best for apple picking?
The apple varieties available for picking, as well as the peak time for apple picking season, will depend on where you live. But for the most part, September to early October is prime picking season.
How much does it cost to pick apples?
Farmers typically charge $1.25 to $2 a pound for apples sold through their u-pick operation, compared with roughly 60 cents a pound on the wholesale market. Like many outfits, the Wilkens farm requires a minimum u-pick purchase—in this case a peck of apples for $20. Otherwise, says Mr.
How high did Monticello get above the Rivanna?
Situated on the summit of an 850-foot (260 m)- high peak in the Southwest Mountains south of the Rivanna Gap, the name Monticello derives from Italian meaning “little mountain”.
Is Thomas Jefferson on the mountain?
The mountain that Thomas Jefferson named Montalto is a part of the Carters Mountain range,1 and is today sometimes known as Brown’s Mountain.
Are there apple orchards in Virginia?
There are all sorts of beautiful places to go apple picking in Virginia! Autumn is beautiful across the state, and locally-owned spots like the Markham-based Hartland Orchard, the donut-slinging Charlottesville gem of Carter Mountain Orchard and Bluemont’s Great Country Farms really up the autumn ante.
How many apple orchards are there in Virginia?
Virginia apples are grown in over 100 commercial orchards, totaling more than 16,000 acres of land.
Where is a good place to pick apples?
- Create lifelong memories during an apple picking excursion at these superb orchards.
- Honey Pot Hill Orchards: Stow, Massachusetts.
- Los Rios Rancho: Oak Glen, California.
- Demarest Farms: Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- Mercier Orchards: Blue Ridge, Georgia.
- Alyson’s Orchard: Walpole, New Hampshire.