- 1 How far is Bear Mountain from New York City?
- 2 What town is Bear Mountain State Park in?
- 3 Are there bears at Bear Mountain NY?
- 4 Is Bear Mountain in the Catskills?
- 5 Is Bear Mountain dangerous?
- 6 Can you see NYC from Bear Mountain?
- 7 Can you drive to the top of Bear Mountain?
- 8 How do you get to Bear Mountain from NYC?
- 9 How far is Bear Mountain to West Point?
- 10 How much does it cost to cross the Bear Mountain Bridge?
- 11 What animals are in Bear Mountain?
- 12 Are there bears in Harriman?
- 13 What is the elevation of Big Bear Ski Resort?
How far is Bear Mountain from New York City?
Highlights: Spend a beautiful day taking a self-guided tour Bear Mountain State Park, just one hour from New York City.
What town is Bear Mountain State Park in?
Bear Mountain is one of the best-known peaks of New York ‘s Hudson Highlands. Located partially in Orange County in the town of Highlands and partially in Rockland County in the town of Stony Point, it lends its name to the nearby Bear Mountain Bridge and Bear Mountain State Park that contains it.
Are there bears at Bear Mountain NY?
Trailside Museums and Zoo The zoo began as a bear den in 1926 and is currently the home of a wide variety of local injured or rehabilitating animals, including bears, otters, deer, bald eagles, and owls.
Is Bear Mountain in the Catskills?
With its towering riverside mountains, lush farmland, 19th-century-style towns and large mansions, New York state’s Hudson River Valley region has been described as America’s own Rhine River Valley.
Is Bear Mountain dangerous?
Bear Mountain is in the 99th percentile for safety, meaning 1% of cities are safer and 99% of cities are more dangerous. This analysis applies to Bear Mountain’s proper boundaries only.
Can you see NYC from Bear Mountain?
From Bear Mountain, the park high point, you can see the New York skyline 35 miles to the south on a clear day. But you ‘ll be seeing plenty of those concrete canyons come Monday morning. DRIVE TIME: The park is about 35 miles (1 hour) north of New York City. The Appalachian Trail traverses the park for 20 miles.
Can you drive to the top of Bear Mountain?
To Drive to the Top of Bear Mountain: Or, from Bear Mountain Inn, go south on Seven Lakes Drive for nearly two miles, and then take a slight right onto Perkins Memorial Drive and head uphill for two miles, to the top.
How do you get to Bear Mountain from NYC?
- Peekskill: Via Metro-North, take the Hudson Line from Grand Central Terminal to the Peekskill station. A ten-minute taxi ride up to Bear Mountain will cost your group about $25 one-way.
- Base of Bear Mountain: Via Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the bus.
How far is Bear Mountain to West Point?
There are 7.74 miles from West Point to Bear Mountain in southwest direction and 13 miles (20.92 kilometers) by car, following the US-9W and US-202 route. West Point and Bear Mountain are 26 minutes far apart, if you drive non-stop.
How much does it cost to cross the Bear Mountain Bridge?
|Bear Mountain Bridge|
|Toll||(eastbound only) cars $1.75 cash, $1.35 E-ZPass|
|Bear Mountain Bridge|
|U.S. National Register of Historic Places|
|Show map of New York Show map of the United States Show all|
What animals are in Bear Mountain?
Wildlife to Watch
- Bald eagles.
- Great blue herons.
- Pileated woodpeckers.
- Snapping turtles.
Are there bears in Harriman?
Bears are active in almost all parks in our region. In recent weeks, bears have been making recurring appearances at several shelters in Harriman, including the popular Fingerboard Shelter.
What is the elevation of Big Bear Ski Resort?
Snow Summit (peak 8,200 feet ) and Bear Mountain (peak 8,805 feet ) for the best snow conditions, longest season, and most rideable terrain in Southern California.