- 1 Where do you fly into to go to Smoky Mountains?
- 2 Can you drive through Smoky Mountain National Park?
- 3 How many days do you need in the Smoky Mountains?
- 4 How much does it cost to go to the Smoky Mountains?
- 5 Where should I stay when visiting the Great Smoky Mountains National Park?
- 6 What city is closest to the Smoky Mountains?
- 7 Is driving in Smoky Mountains dangerous?
- 8 What is the most scenic route through the Smoky Mountains?
- 9 How long does it take to drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park?
- 10 Should I go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge?
- 11 What is the best time of year to go to Gatlinburg?
- 12 What should I bring to Smoky Mountains?
- 13 How much is it to rent a cabin in the Smoky Mountains?
- 14 Is Gatlinburg expensive?
- 15 How expensive is Pigeon Forge?
Where do you fly into to go to Smoky Mountains?
The closest major airport to Great Smoky Mountains National Park is McGee-Tyson Airport (TYS) in Alcoa, TN, just south of Knoxville. The airport is served by five major commercial airlines: Allegiant, American, Delta, Frontier and United.
Can you drive through Smoky Mountain National Park?
Taking a scenic drive is one of the easiest and most rewarding things you can do in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. With almost 400 miles of roadway in the park and the surrounding scenic area, you can drive to specific locations to enjoy, as well as tour through steadily changing vistas of great beauty.
How many days do you need in the Smoky Mountains?
If you are a first time visitor to the park and want to experience the best of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, we suggest 3 to 4 full days of sightseeing plus a day or two for doing some of the longer hikes, river tubing, or horseback riding and still have time to explore Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.
How much does it cost to go to the Smoky Mountains?
Entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park is free! Entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park is free. The park is one of the few national parks where no entrance fees are charged.
Where should I stay when visiting the Great Smoky Mountains National Park?
Gatlinburg – Overall Best Place to Stay in Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Easily the most visited city in the region, Gatlinburg is the main gateway to Great Smoky Mountain National Park for most tourists.
What city is closest to the Smoky Mountains?
Maggie Valley and Waynesville are the closest towns to the Cataloochee Valley area of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, known for elk herds and a ski resort.
Is driving in Smoky Mountains dangerous?
The park’s mountainous roads are narrow, winding and heavily traveled. They are unforgiving for a careless driver;or worse, for a driver whose mental state is compromised by alcohol or drugs. Every year, several alcohol-related fatalities occur within the park.
What is the most scenic route through the Smoky Mountains?
Newfound Gap This is one of the most scenic highways in the Smoky Mountains. Newfound Gap Road will take you straight across the mountain from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, North Carolina on a 33 mile road. The drive from Gatlinburg to Cherokee along Newfound Gap Road takes about an hour.
How long does it take to drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park?
The Loop is a one-way (one-lane) paved road. The scenic driving tour through the Cades Cove Loop takes approximately two to four hours depending on traffic.
Should I go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge?
Gatlinburg is nestled right in the middle of the mountains and has a kind of small town feel. You can walk the downtown area. Pigeon Forge has views of the Smokies, but it isn’t right at the base of mountains. The downtown area is more spread out and the city can ‘t really be walked through in a day.
What is the best time of year to go to Gatlinburg?
The best time to visit Gatlinburg is between September and October. The two peak seasons in Gatlinburg are summer (June, July and August) and the month of October, when the fall foliage is at its zenith. July is the busiest month of the summer season, while weekends in October draw the largest crowds in the fall.
What should I bring to Smoky Mountains?
What to Pack for a Great Smoky Mountains Park Vacation
- Sturdy Hiking Boots to Help You Really Experience the Smoky Mountains.
- A Rain Jacket For a Wet Place.
- Food to Fuel Adventures in the Park.
- EpiPen If You have a Bee Allergy.
- Daypack for Extraordinary Hikes in Hardwood Forests and Over Log Bridges.
- A Couple of Water Bottles or a Hydration System.
How much is it to rent a cabin in the Smoky Mountains?
Gatlinburg TN Cabins: Smoky Mountain Rentals From $85.
Is Gatlinburg expensive?
A vacation to Gatlinburg for one week usually costs around $1,066 for one person. So, a trip to Gatlinburg for two people costs around $2,132 for one week. A trip for two weeks for two people costs $4,263 in Gatlinburg.
How expensive is Pigeon Forge?
The average price of a 7-day trip to Pigeon Forge is $1,666 for a solo traveler, $2,992 for a couple, and $5,609 for a family of 4. Pigeon Forge hotels range from $45 to $258 per night with an average of $74, while most vacation rentals will cost $260 to $560 per night for the entire home.